Olde Engrish |or| How I Made a Malt Liquor
So I just racked off my second try at a lager. Now the first was a guttural failure, an attempt at a Marzen. It was nasty. But, since it was the perfect temperature on the outside walls of the basement, I figured it was time to give it another try! but it couldn’t be just any lager this time. It had to be epic. Mike found a link to a recipe. It was perfect. The website said it best:
You may be asking yourself, ”why is this so awesome?”. For starters it…’s the fucking recipe for Olde English “800″.
I figured it would be a fun time either way, so I collected the ingredients at Larry’s (MyLHBS) for a 10 gallon batch:
|Amount||Item||Type||% or IBU|
|7 lbs||Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)||Grain||37.33 %|
|6 lbs 12.0 oz||Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)||Grain||36.00 %|
|5 lbs||Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)||Grain||26.67 %|
|0.25 oz||Cascade [5.50 %] (105 min)||Hops||2.8 IBU|
|0.25 oz||Williamette [5.50 %] (105 min)||Hops||2.8 IBU|
|1 Pkgs||Pilsen Lager (Wyeast Labs #2007)||Yeast-Lager|
Whew! Over 25% Corn (and a total of 5 IBUs)! I used about half of what they had stashed at Larry’s. Brew day was uneventful, and I forgot/gotAllLazy on the ferment, so here it is about a month later and I just got to thowing it in a keg and sticking it in the kegerator for some lagering time at 40°. So in another month or so (maybe a couple weeks if I get antsy…) I’ll throw on the CO2 and pour the inaugural brew.