Clementine’s Molasses Porter – Batch 002
Brew Date: Nov. 3, 2007
Volume: 5 Gallons
Adapted from The Homebrewer’s Recipe Guide: Brown-Sugar Molasses Porter (pg 46)
3 ½ lb light malt extract
3 ½ lb amber malt extract
1 lb crystal malt (60L)
½ lb. chocolate malt
¼ lb. Black Patent Malt
½ cup blackstrap molasses
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 tsp gypsum
½ tsp Irish Moss
1 oz. liberty (pellets) @ 60 min
½ oz. Cascade (pellets) @ 0 min
American Ale Yeast (Dry)
- Steeped grains for 30 min at 155°. Discarded spent grains.
- brought to a boil while adding malt, bittering hops, clarifiers and sugar.
- boiled for 1 hour, adding finishing hops at end of boil.
- added wort to water to make 5 gallons and cooled in an ice bath to 75°.
- Pitched yeast.
- OG 1.060
- FG 1.010
- Bottled using 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
- ABV: 6.9%
- SRM: 30.5
- IBU: 22
- Good beer.
- strong nutty (hazelnut) smell.
- good head retention.
- not much molasses flavor.
- Add molasses to secondary or use it as priming sugar for more molasses flavor.
- Cut out the brown sugar and replace with either more molasses or caramel (boiled sugar).